At Beaty Facial Plastic Surgery, you know about Dr. Mark Beaty’s double-board certified surgical skills. But you may not be as familiar with the other side of our practice handled primarily by Dr. Laura Beaty, a doctor of family medicine.
One of these areas is our weight management programs, one of which is known as PathwayFIT. PathwayFIT is quite different from most weight management programs in that it looks at over 40 genetic markers for diet, exercise, and obesity-related conditions to inform, motivate, and personalize the weight management journeys of our patients from Atlanta, Alpharetta, and the surrounding areas.
What is PathwayFIT?
Precision Genomics calls PathwayFIT the “precision path to diet and exercise.” Pathway FIT looks in depth into your genetics/nutrition profile, and how your body responds individually to different exercises. To do so, PathwayFIT looks at traits in eight different areas. Here are those eight areas:
- #1 Your Eating Habits — The genetics behind how you eat. Why do you snack? Why do you want certain foods over others?
- #2 Your Reactions to Food — How your body respond to various foods. Are you lactose intolerant? How do you handle sweets?
- #3 Your Body and Weight — This is where you discover how to lose weight faster. How do you metabolize? What’s your propensity to obesity?
- #4 Your Diet Match — This is where you learn your genetic diet type. How does your body respond to monounsaturated fats? Polyunsaturated fats? Omega-3 fatty acid?
- #5 Exercise — How your body responds to exercise. What’s your aerobic capacity? What’s your loss of body fat response to exercise? How does your glucose level respond to exercise?
- #6 Your Nutritional Needs — Which vitamins are most important to your body?
- #7 Your Metabolic Health Factors — How does diet affect your cholesterol? How does diet affect your triglycerides?
- #8 Your Diet Guidelines — University research has shown that DNA-based dieting was over twice as effective as fad dieting. Your unique diet guidelines match your genetics with your ratio of calories from carbs, fat, and protein. For your unique diet guidelines, the PathwayFIT plan provides a dietician who actually looks at your genetic guidelines and helps you customize a diet just for you.